Originally constructed in 1949, Mrs. Gerry’s parents built this house for their young family as a modest, one-story, hipped roof structure with walk-out basement. The property has been a beloved place for family gatherings for over 50 years. The Gerrys wanted to adapt the house to meet the needs of a growing, multi-generational family, creating spaces that allow one to savor the dramatic water views. The challenge was to carefully apply additions that allowed the residence to fit more appropriately with varied vernacular context.
The land drops dramatically from the road to the water’s edge creating two distinctly different sides to the house. By establishing a low eave height and adding a front porch, the public roadside view retains the welcoming and quaint small-scale form of the original house. The waterside reveals all three floors and creates a memorable landmark when viewed from the Harraseeket River.
There are four additions to the first and lower levels and a full second floor was added. These additions expand the living room, reorganize and add bedrooms, move the kitchen and dining room locations, add porches and decks, and retain the hearth at the heart of the house.